It’s very important for us to know all the regulation, since we need to be able to advise our customers (the Spanish fishery mongers), and we need to make sure that they know how to follow it. During the last years, this department has also being playing a nutritional advisor role, promoting the nutritional advantages of the fish. Among others, we would like to highlight these campaigns:
- Campaing for the implementation of the Real Decreto de NORMALIZACIÓN DE LOS PRODUCTOS DEL MAR FRESCOS el real Decreto de NORMALIZACIÓN DE LOS PRODUCTOS DE LA PESCA CONGELADOS.
- GUIDE OF THE PROPER HYGINES MEASURES FOR THE FISHMUNGER. This guide was approved by the Spanish food security department, and was published in 2004. It was the first guide of its kind.
- The Released of a guide with all the quality standards for the fishmongers. We worked on this Project through all the 2002. In order to create this guide, we worked with 21 diferent companies, located in three different autonomous communities (Madrid, Catalonia and Castilla y Leon). AENOR was very pleased with the work, and an independent group was created to control the quality standards.
- In 2005, we published LA NORMA UNE 175001-2 DE CALIDAD DE SERVICIO PARA PESCADERÍAS, which was the first Spanish and European rule of its kind. After publishing it, we tested it in 42 companies, which were located in 3 different autonomous communities.
- NATIONAL QUALITY TOURNAMENTS: In order to promote high quality standards, we organise several competitions to recognize the effort of all the fishmongers.
- Traceability guide in the fishmonger sector: Fedepesca with the cooperation of the Subdirección General de Comercialización Pesquera, published in 2006 this guide. 14.000 copies were distributed, and more than 100 persons assisted to the guide event presentation.
This it’s the first program of its kind in Spain, and its already being used. Nowadays, more than 50 fishmonger’s retailers are using it. In 2012, the system was exported to other Spanish cities. Nowdays the use of this system its under promotion. We also follow the SANDACH legislation. FEDEPESCA takes part in the writing of the animals’ products white book. This books regulates the animals that are not suitable for human consumption.
- Training department. In FEDEPESCA we have been developing a wide range of courses and meetings that enable our professionals to understand and adapt to the new entrepreneurial challenges. These courses allow the fishmongers to adapt to the social changes and new technologies/regulations, allowing them to provide a better service.
That why, one of our main duties it’s to keep our members up to date, providing them with all the new rules, food regulation, health issues, environmental rules, fiscal, nutritional studies etc. We also provide our members with new marketing tools that allow them to promote our sector.
The use of APPCC systems are compulsory for all the companies that work in the food sector. That’s why we have also developed a course that teaches our members how to use this application, and that ensure that they all follow the regulation properly. The objective of all these courses is to provide our members with a security and hygiene system that meet the current regulation. We also try to develop useful knowledge and skills that can be used by our members, in order to improve their current status. At the end of this course every fishery will have the necessary skills to meet all the hygiene regulation and laws, and his shop will be completely adapted. Our member, therefore, will be able to pass any safety/hygiene control, and he will also be provided with all the necessary licenses. The course also has all the necessary materials about hazard analysis and critical control points, explaining the right way of work with the application of the A.P.P.C.C. Communication and promotion department This department takes care of all the institutional relations, communication with other organizations, relationship with the media and the development of WebPages and newsletters. However, we also take care of: Information campaigns about the benefits of the sea products and information about the risks associated with the consumption of sea products. In order to promote the consumption of fish among the Spanish population, FEDEPESCA plays an important role in many campaigns. The most recent ones are the following:
- AGREEMENT WITH THE SPANISH OMEGA 3 FEDERATION, promoting the benefists of the omega 3 for the cardiovascular system.
- INFORMATIVE CAMPAING ABOUT ANISAKIS
- COOKING BOOK WITH FISH AND SEAFOOD RECIPES
- BOOK FOR KIDS
- MEETINGS WITH CONSUMERS IN ORDER TO PROMOTE OUR PRODUCTS. Sustainability, nutritional values, evolution of the fishing industriy, posible risks, etc.
- CAMPAING ABOUT THE LABBELING OF FISHING PRODUCTS, fresh and frozen.
FEDEPESCA has an strong colaaboration with MAGRAMA, taking part in the “taller de los sentidos de la feria Gourmet” (a course) that takes part every year since 2002. In the last edition, that took part in April 2012, thousands of kids participated in the course, and listen to our fishmongers.
Nowadays we can see a big and deep change in the market, customers, competitors, the product and the environments are changing…we are aware of these changes and that’s why we have developed our own environment and marketing department.
From this department we follow and update all the European laws, regulations and changes. This department it’s also in charge of educating our members and teaches them about the importance of preserving the environment and the sustainable fishing.
- Informative meetings for our members and consumers with the aim of promoting sustainable fishing and consumption.
- The distribution of 4500.00 biodegradable bags with the aim of reducing the amount of plastic bags among the sector.
- In 2012 we wrote a guide about proper behavior for environmental sustainability in a fish market shop.
The objectives are:
- Explain the main environmental factors that take usually place in the activity of the selling of fish and seafood.
- Give information to the companies about the main problems.
- To collect and make all the regulation and laws easily accessible for all our members and customers.
- Promote the use of friendly environmental practices that will help not only to preserve the environment but also to save cost and improve our energy consumption.
- Teach our companies ways to communicate and explain the importance of the environment preservation.
- Point ours business to the right direction (a sustainable one) and help our members to get a competitive advantage from this.
- Nowadays, an environmental preservation strategy it’s a key element for the competitive plan of any company. A plan of this type offers lot of competitive advantage such as:
- Allows the company to reduce cost, saving water, energy and raw materials.
- Allows the company to reduce costs in safety, taxes for the reduction of residues, government taxes, etc
- It ensures the following of all the environmental regulations, preventing fines from the government bodies.
- Improve the company’s image, making it more appealing to the potential customers.
- It helps us to preserve the environment where we live.
In 2010, with the collaboration of FROM and FEP, we edited the “Guía de Consumo Responsable y Recetario Sostenible.”
- Minimum size
- Type of fishing techniques
- Negative effects of the intensive fishing techniques.
- Use of packahes, wrapping technqiues and control of residues.
- Regulation ofm the proper labeling.
• It’s also includes a recipe book with subtitles of the threatened and endangered species.
- Aqueculture recipes, including mollusks.
- Recipes of local fishes from our coast, to promote local consumption.
In 2009 we signed an agreement with ECOEMBES. This agreement was made to allow our sector to participate and to recycle our disposal without having to pay very high fees. In 2010 the agreement was extended to the whole country, though our regional organizations. We have been the first retail trade organization related with the Spanish food sector that created an environmental department, showing our commitment towards the environment and protection of the planet. We also requested a seat in the working table of the minister of agriculture, food and environment. This would allow us to follow the changes that take place in all the regulation, and to follow the changes that are taking place in the regulation of package and wrapping.